Severn School of O&G
ARCP advice for Out of Programme Experience/ Training/ Research
All doctors now have to revalidate at 5 year intervals and at the point of award of CCT. Periods of time Out of Programme (OOP) still count towards revalidation, and generally do not affect the revalidation cycle. The only time that this may change is if your CCT is 12 months away; or you are having a career break at the time of revalidation and have not been able to collect any evidence, when the Responsible Officer (PG Dean) may allow deferral of revalidation until you resume practice.
You therefore need to continue to collect cumulative evidence to support your revalidation and all aspects of your practice as a doctor must be accounted for.
Your ARCP date will be set in advance as usual and you will be required to submit evidence and attend if necessary as requested by your Training Programme Director.
For trainees in ALL types of OOP
While you are away you will need to do the following, on at least an annual basis:
- Engage with and complete the requirements of any training component of work you are undertaking if OOPT, including provision of an Educational Supervisor’s Report, completion of online portfolios and any work place based assessments as specified by your specialty. This continues during any work overseas. Where possible the Educational Supervisors report should be completed via the relevant e-Portfolio. If this is not possible a paper ES report should be completed.
- Engage in, and provide documentary evidence of involvement with the appraisal or review process in your host organisation, and retain any paperwork for submission to the ARCP panel.
- Complete the Form R, and any additional forms where “wider scope of practice is needed” i.e listing any wider work that you perform, and answering the revalidation questions about any incidents, complaints, health and probity in readiness for revalidation.
- Complete the Reflection of work outside of training form if relevant, detailing your entire scope of practice including locum and other wider work as a doctor which is NOT part of your training programme. Provide evidence that you are satisfying the GMC domains across that scope of practice. This form must be signed by your appropriate supervisor.
- Maintain your licence to practise, including your Postgraduate Dean RO connection on GMC Connect. Please note that you should not relinquish your licence whilst OOP. Once appointed to the training programme you will remain the responsibility of the Postgraduate Dean RO until you have completed your training and resigned your NTN (national training number).
Specific Advice on documents required
Trainees out of programme for OOPT (counted for training) need to submit evidence as per RCOG Matrix (proportionate to time in training) in order to receive an outcome 1.
1. An Educational Supervisor’s report is required
2. A Severn O&G ARCP evidence form for the specific training year, and all associated documents are required
Trainees out of programme for OOPE/OOPR need to submit evidence for ARCP in order to receive outcome 8.
This should include:
1. Clinical/ research supervisor’s report on progress – NB this is not an Educational Supervisor’s report- this e-portfolio document does not need completion. The report can be in the form of a letter or report (uploaded onto e-portfolio personal library)
2. Trainee’s record of achievements during the OOPE/R and updated CV
3. Evidence of continued clinical competency if there is a clinical commitment during OOPE/OOPR i.e on call / 50:50 clinical component etc. Required:
a. Repeat Reaffirmation of Continued Competency Summative OSATs as specified by RCOG matrix at stage of temporarily leaving training programme
b. At least 2 clinical reflections (all SUI/ complaints must have reflections)
c. Form R
No Documentation necessary, other than form R stating no work related to medical qualification is undertaken