Great Western Road
Hospital Telephone Number: 08454 222 222
College Tutor: Dr Rebecca Swingler
Number of Posts
- 12 ST3-7
- 4 GPStRs
- 2 Trust SHO
- 2 Hospital Doctor Registrar
Consultants, Special Interests, specials Skills or Subspeciality
- Dr Christine Edwards, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Clinical Director Obstetrics
- Mr Rob Gornall, Gynaecological Oncology
- Mr Richard Hayman, Fetal and Maternal Medicine, Risk Management, * Specialty Director
- Miss Kathryn Hillaby, Gynaecological Oncology, Clinical Director Gynaecology
- Mr Mark James, Urogynaecology, Training and Education, Benign Gynaecology
- Mr Phillip Kaloo, Minimal access surgery, Benign Gynaecology and Laparoscopic Surgery,
- Mr Dhushy Mahendran, Maternal medicine, *Chief of Service
- Dr Rebecca Evans-Jones, Fetal Medicine, Risk management
- Mrs Kalpana Reddy, Assisted Reproduction, Minimal access surgery, Gynaecological Ultrasound scanning
- Mr Phil Rolland, Gynaecological Oncology
- Miss Rebecca Swingler, Obstetrics, Specialty Tutor
- Miss Madhavi Vellayan, Menstrual disorders, Hysteroscopic surgery, Benign Gynaecology and Laparoscopic Surgery
- Mr Mark Whittaker, Minimal access surgery, Benign Gynaecology and Laparoscopic Surgery
- Ms Ida Muslim, Leadership on the Delivery Suite, Risk Management and Gynaecological Ultrasound
- Mr Phillip Rahmanou, Urogynaecology
- Dr Jothi Doraiswarmy, Early Pregnancy
- Dr Maggie Arlidge, Perinatal Mental Health, Fetal Medicine
Description of Department and Training Opportunities
The Trust was launched on 1 April 2002 and brought from its predecessors a strong track record of achievement. It became a second-wave Foundation Trust in July 2004 and is committed to continuous improvement, with emphasis on quality of care. The Trust has two main hospitals, Gloucester Royal and Cheltenham General Hospitals and it also provides services to the community hospitals in Gloucestershire. These include operating lists and outpatient clinics.
GHNHSFT has a very busy Obstetrics and Gynaecology department providing excellent training opportunities for all grades of Specialty Trainees. The Women's Centre at Gloucester Royal was opened in January 2011 and has a state of the art Delivery Suite, Neonatal Unit and purpose built outpatient clinics. We have 6500 deliveries per year and this gives both junior and senior Specialty trainees excellent and supported delivery suite experience.
We offer training in special interest clinics in Maternal Medicine, Fetal Medicine, Infertility, Urogynaecology, Gynaeoncolocy and outpatient Hysteroscopy across both hospital sites. We are pleased to be able to offer a large amount of benign gynaecology operating experience to all levels of Specialty Trainees.
There are many educational opportunities for Specialty Trainees including CTG training, Perinatal Meetings, Audit Sessions and a programme of Friday afternoon teaching. Trainees are expected to attend Regional Training Days appropriate to their training needs. Trainees are also encouraged to become involved in teaching the undergraduate students from the University of Bristol, the SHO's and on the multi-disciplinary training days. There is a long tradition of clinical research and service innovation and we are very supportive of trainees taking part in ongoing and new projects.
We are a friendly, busy unit and aim to give trainees a valuable and enjoyable training experience whilst they are at GHNHSFT.